As you may appreciate older buildings such as Holy Trinity require regular maintenance. Recently, as part of our ongoing maintenance program, slates have been replaced on the roof of the church to prevent internal penetration of water, and the Parish Centre has received a new lease of life with a fresh coat of paint.
Apart from maintenance, ideally the parish hopes to employ a full time vicar. This will enable Holy Trinity to expand its activities into the community.
Please consider a donation to Holy Trinity so that this work may continue and Holy Trinity remain an integral part of East Melbourne. Of course, every donation, no matter how small is important to us.
We are all concerned about maintaining the character of East Melbourne and as such we must make sure that a revitalised and well maintained Holy Trinity plays its part. Your contribution will assist in making this happen.
Please contact us on 03 9417 3341 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
The Henry Boom organ is the third of three organs used by the congregation of Holy Trinity. The first organ in the newly-built 1864 Holy Trinity building sited on the cnr of George and Clarendon Sts was an 1854 Smith & Co Bristol previously installed in the Mechanics Institute Hall (Athenaeum Hall) Collins St.
Following a devastating fire on the 1st January 1905 both church and organ were destroyed.
Rebuilding commenced on the cnr of Hotham and Clarendon Sts and on 5th January 1906 an order from Holy Trinity for a hire organ was received by Geo. Fincham. This instrument remained in use until May 1913 when the present instrument was installed by William Anderson.
The present organ was purchased from the estate of Mr Henry M Boom of ‘Yarradale’ Fordholm Rd. Hawthorn. It is a rare example of an instrument constructed by an amateur organ builder for domestic use in the late 19th Century.
It appears probable that Boom built most of the organ with the assistance of organ builders Alfred Fuller and Fred Taylor who both lived and had workshops in close proximity. Furthermore Booms’s house was equipped with a large workshop.
Boom made most of the wooden pipework many of which are fronted in costly mahogany. One builder noted “that the wood pipes present a magnificent example of the art of organ building. They are magnificently made and voiced. It is very rare to see such small pipes, which extend to within the last octave of the top of the 2ft rank.
The work of Henry boom can only be greatly admired”. As far back as June 1872 Boom imported from J.W. Walker in London assorted pipework of ‘fine spotted metal’ at a cost of 50 pounds. Nevertheless there is evidence of some pipework predating this time.
The organ remained in its original state until 1971 when it went under some reconfiguration. The swell box was removed as was the swell clarionet which was replaced with a 2 rank mixture.
The instrument’s historic significance was recognised in August 2010 when it received a National Trust classification of Regional Significance.
A restoration fund has been established to return the instrument to its original condition and specifications. The fund will also attend to the mechanical and coupler actions, both in a dire state and need of restoration.
The bellows are also in need of releathering, and the many leaks in the windchests repaired. The cost of this work is approximately $100,000.
To help us restore this organ to its former glory, please complete this Organ Donation form and submit to The Melbourne Anglican Cultural Organisation.